The other week somebody scratched my car in a botched parking attempt . This morning, they came and took my car and gave me a courtesy car. I thought I was meeting The Dude for lunch but I wasn’t. We have both had rotten weeks for different reasons , but he came out and we chatted and I drove off in the different car and realised for all that I am neck deep in horribleness (not really , but it feels that way), I still was smiling.
Given that I find writing therapeutic and nobody wants to listen to a whingefest, I figured a list of things that make me smile was good.
- The Dude makes me smile .
- The fact that The Dude can still make me smile makes me smile.
- My car pulling into tight parking spaces (it never gets old)
- Hot chips with salt and vinegar
- Discovering somewhere new
- Conversation with friends
- Chocolate, sometimes
- Waking up to Little Person giggles
- Listening to Little Person play
- Taking the dog for a walk (occasionally even in the rain)
- The smell of chopped leeks
- Talking to my mum
- Finishing a row of knitting or crochet (it’s the little things)
- A good cheese
- Piles of leaves all raked up
- The wind howling outside while I’m drinking hot tea
- Stories of lives being changed
- Learning something new
- The way my cat purrs every time I give her even the tiniest bit of attention
- Writing daft lists
- Making a good decision for self care
- Dancing in the kitchen with The Dude
- When the dog actually listens to me
- Wearing a nice jumper or cardigan
And here my list ends for no other reason than The Dude has just.come in from work.